Monday, July 26, 2010

On co-sleeping.

Yeah, we do it.

Technically those are two different things I guess, but ask someone the definition of co-sleeping and more than likely they are going to give you the definition of "sleep-sharing".  From what I understand the co-sleeping is now sleeping in the same room and sleep sharing is the same bed. It just sounds like weird hippie stuff...although it seems I've somehow jumped on the weird hippie train anyway...so whatever. 

There seems to be such a stigma about it. I'm guilty, too. Before you were an outside baby, I thought it was weird and something I would never do.  Now I can't imagine not doing it.  You sleep better.  I sleep better.  Daddy...well...I'm not sure if he does or not...or what he thinks about it.  I should probably ask him sometime. I'd guess that as long as you and I are sleeping better, he is sleeping better too.  He just doesn't get to hog the bed anymore - you do.

America is apparently the only place this isn't really a common practice (although when I talk to some of my friends with kids I think it's more common than anyone admits). 

I can't help but roll my eyes when people give me an OMG YOU'RE GOING TO CRUSH YOUR BABY look or response.

I can't help but lie to your pediatrician a little because I am afraid that she's going to disapprove.

I can't help but get a little annoyed when people think we're spoiling you already or making a huge mistake.

I can't help but be a little hurt when someone seems to imply that letting you sleep with us hinders your independence. 

There seems to be plenty of research and personal experience out there that says otherwise - that it actually promotes independence.  I can see the case for both.   It's very clearly not for everyone, and I don't by any means think that everyone should do it.  I just wish I could be honest on this subject all the time without feeling like my response is going to be judged as wrong 99% of the time or people making assumptions about how my kid is going to turn out.

1 comment:

  1. Jessie-I have 5 kids, and every single one of them slept with me for some period of time (some of them still end up in my bed sometime during the night). If everyone's happy, then all is well. Sleeping habits are one of the most fickle topics in the medical arena--by the time Sophie is old enough to leave your bed, they'll be saying what a great thing it was that you did that for her!

    ReplyDelete