Saturday, July 24, 2010

Why mommy isn't at the bar.

If I hear "What, you don't trust my mom?" one more time, I might scream. 

(No, Corey didn't say this...but both of his brothers managed to today.  I realize they didn't mean anything by it, but it's an awkward question for many reasons.  One, because my mother-in-law, who I love dearly, was sitting right there.  Two, because I'm just not ready to leave her very long with anyone but Corey and I don't like feeling like I need to explain that to people - it has nothing to do with anyone but me)

We are at my in-laws house visiting for the weekend.  After some BBQ and Mike's Hard Lemonade, the guys were inspired to go to the bar.  This was the second time today I was asked the question that bothers me so much.

I didn't want to go out to the bar because:
  1. I don't want to smell like smoke.  
  2. I don't want to have to take a shower as soon as I get home because I smell like smoke.
  3. I don't want Sophie to be breathing that in or to smell like it because I held her.  That's just gross and unhealthy for her.
  4. Drinking isn't all that appealing to me anymore.
  5. If I drink more than one or two, then I'm not comfortable with it passing through my breast milk to her.
  6. I love breastfeeding, so I have no desire to do anything that causes me to have to feed her from a bottle if I don't have to.
  7. If I drink, then it's not safe for her to sleep in the bed curled up with me, and I love that more than I love a 30 minute buzz.  I love it more than anything.  Especially now that she likes to lay down with me and play with my face.
  8. There is plenty of time for things like this later. I became a mom - I didn't keel over and die.  And I realize the day will come that I want to get away for a little bit - but I'm not in a rush for it.
End of self-righteous new mom rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment